" No one ever asked me how it felt to be me, but when I told the truth about that; I felt free!" -The Help

Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Preachers Wife


When I was in high school one of the greatest movies of all time was born. I know what you are thinking; it has to be the Titanic, Forrest Gump, Jurassic Park, Runaway Bride or Robin Hood Prince of Thieves…right? While those are all fabulous movies, in my humble opinion none of them hold a candle to my favorite movie of all time. Wait for it….… The Preachers Wife!! I have loved that movie since way before I became a…Preacher’s wife. Isn’t that ironic? (btw, also a great song that came out when I was in high school…gotta love Alinas Morissette) Recently, my sister and I looked high and low for The Preachers Wife. We had some friends who had never seen it (insert GASP here). As it turns out, the movie isn’t that popular. We called several places and ended up buying it for $5.99. What a shame. My favorite movie of all time has been reduced to a mere $5.99.

Unless you live in a cave (that apparently has internet since you are reading this) you have heard by now that Whitney Houston passed away. Whitney is the star of the movie the Preachers Wife. Her music is as phenomenal in the movie and she plays the role of the Preacher’s wife with class and grace. She truly had the voice of an angel and will be missed by so many.

I have heard more than one person express their distaste for my favorite movie. People have said things like, “it dances around infidelity” or “it isn’t realistic” or it’s “just a movie.” Before I became a preacher’s wife I think I would probably agree with those statements, all the while still loving it. Now that I am a veteran rookie preacher’s wife I think the movie is a little more realistic than we are all willing to admit.

In case you haven’t had the privilege of seeing the movie, our dear Whitney Houston finds herself frustrated with the amount of time and emotional energy her husband is giving to the people of his congregation. At the end of the day, he has nothing left to give to his family. He is left feeling exhausted; meanwhile his family is left feeling defeated. Unfortunately, it is a lot easier to find ourselves in that place than I care to admit. How does that happen? For my family it is a series of little choices that slowly creep in. Sure, it’s just one students basketball game, not a big deal. It’s just one evening class, not a big deal. It’s just one intramural team, not a big deal. It’s just one retreat, not a big deal. It’s just one more “yes”, not a big deal. But suddenly, those hundreds millions of small deals turn into a calendar that looks like a toddler scribbled on it. Life is a series of choices I suppose. Sometimes the millions of little choices add up to a busy crazy season. Our family happens to be in one of those seasons. The good news is, it’s just a season. I hope. I guess maybe I should take my own advice and re-read my post on seasons.

Tonight I have  retrieved my favorite movie from the DVD cabinet and plan to watch it real soon. It’s good to be reminded sometimes I am not the only Preachers Wife out there…even if it is “just” a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment