" No one ever asked me how it felt to be me, but when I told the truth about that; I felt free!" -The Help

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Vacation...ish

So..I wish there was a way my thoughts could just be transferred directly to my blog.  I mean, I don’t wish ALL my thoughts did, trust me, you don’t either. It’s just that so many times I think to myself, “I should totally blog about that” or “it has been so long since I have given my blog any love” and then, these tiny yet adorable creatures that live in my house need something. You know, like milk, or crayons, or to rewind Cars for the 30th time.  And then, it’s a month later.  Whew! I’m guessing you can relate.
The month of March was a complete Blurrrrr for us. We were traveling 2 out of the 4 weekends and the other two were filled with important events here at home.  We did however, have the special honor of going to Billings, Montana for one of the weekends.  Have you ever been there? Ok so first of all it is in.the.middle.of.NOWHERE! And, it is a loooong ways from where we live.  Let me just say, I have never been so thankful for Nick Lachey  Christian something station on Pandora in my life.  My poor iphone needed a vacation after our vacation.  Anyway, we went to the loveliness that is Billings for a youth conference of sorts that my husband was speaking at.  It just so happens it was the same conference he used to attend as a teen, oh so many years ago.  He was completely stoked to be able to go back there and share his heart to his homeland.  And I…well, I was the trophy wife all weekend.  No, seriously. I was. Everyone knew my husband.  And I was…his wife! I was quite proud all weekend to be the "speakers wife." Eh hem.  We were even blessed to leave the boys at home in some very loving and capable hands.   Yep, you heard me right, a weekend away…just the husband/special speaker/prodigal teenager come home and I.  We had a blast! We stayed up late. We drove through Taco Bell, Del Taco, and Hardys all in one night after 11pm.  We watched movies. We ate out. We did..other stuff.  It was just really nice to get away for awhile and be able to focus on each other.  We decided we need to do that at least once a month once a year.
So, our vacation speaking engagement was coming to an end.  We were two hours from home.  I got on my trusty iphone to check the book.   The "keeps me connected to all my good friends as well as those I don’t even know" book. Facebook.  I noticed one of our teens had written something rather disturbing on her status.  Hmmmm. I read it to my husband and we both knew instantly we were not on vacation anymore. This was serious stuff. The kind of stuff that can change a persons life forever. Then, it began. The texts, calls, and fbook messages.  People were concerned.  And they were calling US.  My husband spent the next two days working ministering to this family who was so broken.   I realized in those moments, as I have a million times before, that ministry never stops. Never.  Not even when we are on vacation.  I guess it is sort of like being a blogger. Once you’re a blogger you can’t stop thinking "I should blog about that."

No comments:

Post a Comment